As we learn more about the full impact of the Coronavirus in the United States, my top priority will remain ensuring the public health and safety of families in Central New York. To provide you with information on the Coronavirus and preventative steps you can take to protect yourself and your family, I included helpful links and information on this page to keep you informed. With new information coming out every day, please be sure to regularly visit the sites below to stay up to date. As always, if you have questions or concerns, please call my office at (315) 423-5657.
About the Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19):
The current outbreak of the Coronavirus was first identified in China but has now spread internationally. Patients with COVID-19 have had mild to severe respiratory illness with symptoms including fever, cough, and shortness of breath.
For more information about the Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19), click the link HERE.
The most up to date information from the CDC can be found HERE.
Preventing the Coronavirus:
Everyone plays an important role in preventing the spread of respiratory illnesses like the Coronavirus. The best way to prevent infection is to avoid being exposed to the virus that causes the Coronavirus. Simple preventative measures can help prevent the spread of respiratory illnesses like Coronavirus. These include:
- Wear a face covering in public.
- Practice social distancing and avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Avoiding touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Washing your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
For more information on how to prevent the spread of COVID-19, click the link HERE.
What you should do if you are sick with the Coronavirus:
- Stay home except to get medical care
- Call ahead before visiting your doctor
- Separate yourself from others
- Wear a facemask when you are around other people
- Cover your coughs and sneezes
- Avoid sharing personal household items
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol if soap and water are not available.
Upstate Hospital has opened a regional triage line for COVID-19. If you have a Coronavirus-related question, are showing possible symptoms, or may have had an exposure to someone diagnosed with Coronavirus, please call their line at (315) 464-3979. NOTE: this is a non-emergency line.
For more information on what you should do if you believe you have been infected with Coronavirus, click the link HERE.
For general information on the Coronavirus and steps you can take to prevent the spread, click the link HERE.
For information the Coronavirus’s spread in New York State, click the link HERE.