REP. KATKO INVITES PUBLIC TO HEROIN, SYNTHETIC DRUG FORUM
SYRACUSE, NEW YORK – U.S. Rep. John Katko (NY-24) today announced that he will host a public forum next week focused on combating heroin and synthetic drug abuse. The event will be held Thursday, March 23 at 6:30 p.m. at Oswego City Hall in the Common Council Chambers.
Like past community forums, Rep. Katko will be joined by a panel of community advocates and parents, healthcare professionals, educators, prevention and treatment specialists, as well as local law enforcement and community responders to answer questions.
“There is no question that the heroin and synthetic drug epidemic has hit our region hard. I’ve heard from countless members of our community seeking treatment and addiction resources,” said U.S. Rep. John Katko. “These forums provide an excellent opportunity for individuals who are struggling with addiction and their families to gain information and support from members of our community who work on the front lines every day to combat this epidemic.”
The event is Katko’s seventh public community forum since 2015. The event is free and open to the public. Only credentialed members of the media will be permitted to tape. Time will be allotted for questions.
Details are as follows:
A Community Conversation on Heroin & Synthetic Drug Abuse
Thursday, March 23 at 6:30 p.m.
Oswego City Hall, Common Council Chambers
13 W. Oneida Street, 2nd Floor
City of Oswego
The meeting will be moderated by Oswego County District Attorney Greg Oakes. Panelists include:
- City of Oswego Assistant Fire Chief John Chawgo
- Jiancheng Huang, Director of Public Health, Oswego County Health Department
- Michael Batstone, Investigator with the Oswego County Drug Task Force
- Monika Taylor, LCSW, CASAC, Director of Chemical Dependency Treatment Services for Crouse Hospital
- Jill Gillman, Senior RN, Oswego Health Emergency Department
- Penny Morley, MS, CAS, Prevention Services Director at Farnham Family Services & Member of the Coalition to Combat Substance Abuse
- A representative from Chemical Dependency Counselor for County of Oswego Council on Alcoholism and Addictions, Inc. (COCOAA)
- Teresa Woolson, President of the VOW Foundation & Member of the Coalition to Combat Substance Abuse
- John and Tina Socci, Heroin Epidemic Action League (H.E.A.L.) Cayuga County
Congressman John Katko represents the 24th Congressional District, which includes all of Onondaga, Cayuga, and Wayne Counties and the western portion of Oswego County. For more information, please visit https://katko.house.gov or www.facebook.com/RepJohnKatko.